What good is a printer that doesn't print?
If your HP printer is spitting out blank pages, here's what you can do to troubleshoot the problem.
Why Is My HP Printer Printing Blank Pages?
There are a few reasons why your HP printer might be printing blank pages. Here are some things you can check:
Start With Your Printer Cartridges
- Make sure that the ink cartridges are installed properly and that they are not empty.
- Check your ink levels in the printer's control panel.
- If they are low or empty, replace your HP printer cartridges with new ones.
Checking printer supply levels with the HP Smart app on a Windows operating system.
Check Cartridge Alignment
- If you have recently replaced the ink cartridges, align them as per the printer's prompt.
- You can also align the print heads and cartridges through the maintenance menu on the front of the printer.
Faulty or Incompatible Cartridges
- Use genuine HP cartridges which are compatible with your specific printer model.
- Using incompatible, third-party, or faulty cartridges can lead to printing issues.
Update Your Print Driver
- Run a diagnostic test to make sure you are using the latest print driver for your printer.
- Download the most up-to-date driver from HP printer support.
Inspect Printer Settings
- Verify that the correct paper type and size are selected in the printer settings.
- Check and adjust the print quality settings, avoiding "economy" or "draft" modes, as they may result in faint or blank pages.
Check Paper Settings
- Improper paper alignment or loading can cause the printer to print incorrectly or not at all.
- Ensure the paper is loaded correctly in the tray and adjust the paper guides to align with the paper size.
Check Printer Hardware
- If your printer is still printing blank pages, there may be an issue with the printer hardware.
- Contact HP for assistance.
Checking your supply levels on a Mac operating system.
Additional Troubleshooting Tips for Blank Printer Pages
Here are some additional steps you can take to troubleshoot a printer that is printing blank pages:
Run a Test Page
This will help determine if the problem is with your computer software or your printer.
Clean the Print Heads
Over time, the print head nozzles can become clogged, resulting in poor or no ink/toner being deposited on the page.
Most printers have a built-in cleaning function accessible through the printer software or control panel. Run the print head cleaning utility to clear any clogs.
Prevent Your HP Printer From Printing Blank Pages
Here are some tips to help you prevent your HP printer from printing blank pages: